Greater Kansas City Bike Repair

*****This just in Mechanic Matt returns to real working world!***

Sorry folks, no more wrenching. I am willing to help those who already know about me and that I have provided service to, but beyond that I am out of the garage bike repair business. What remains here is now a blog about bikes from some guy named Matt that lives in KC. If you care, read on, if you don't, move on. Yes I thought that I would start a bike store in Mission, KS and a new employer hired me just before I signed papers, so sorry folks. Take care and happy trails.

-The Management

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

How I typically do Tune-ups...

For those of you that have stumbled upon this website and wonder how I typically do things, I would like to share how it typically works.

First off for a true complete tune-up I charge $35 and it typically takes me about two hours (yes, I am kind of slow), but I am thorough and typically do more than a shop can afford to do for that price. I start with your wheels, repack the bearings, clean rims, and true wheels. I then clean up brake pads (replace if needed), replace wheels, adjust brakes (replace brake cables if needed), and start in on the shifting. I always start with the rear derailleur, replace the cable if needed, lube moving joints, then adjust for proper shifting. Next is the front derailleur, replace cable if needed, lube moving joints, then adjust for proper shifting. Then I check the handlebar setup for anything out of place, realignment if needed, replace grip if needed, and move on. I then disassemble the headset and repack bearings and put everything back together, and tighten the headset. About here I remember that I haven't repacked the bottom bracket and do so if I feel it is needed.

I think I forgot to add that if I don't replace your cables, I always still lube the cable to improve shifting. The last thing I will do is ride your bike over and over around the block until everything is shifting and braking smoothly. My neighbor can tell you how silly I look when I am cruising around on a kid's cruiser or some huge bike.

If things go easy then I charge less than $35, never more than that unless you are wanting me to fix something that it very old or just in terrible shape. Those bikes typically take me much more time than two hours and I charge $50 for those.

Again, I typically do not make any money on parts I replace, so anything I am telling you that I think is replaceable is typically for your best interest. You can ask my previous customers, I will tell you what to look out for, what really needs to be replaced, and what is just fine.

Here is another thing, I don't mind if you want to go to a store instead for this or that, or if you want to find your specific tire, or you want to purchase something on craigslist, or if you don't use me for anything at all. I am doing this to simply build extra income for myself and build a customer base. I do have a pretty good knowledge of bikes, parts, and what works. What I don't know I will tell you, no b.s. If you want to know my strengths it would be all bikes from the late 90's and older and road bikes from any period. I have twice built a recumbent from nothing into a working bike for school projects, I have built fairings out of carbon fiber, machined hubs, and more.

Lastly timing, it typically takes me two days to get to your bike and finish repairs. I typically have only 4 working hours a day to work on bikes which only allows 2-4 bikes to get completed in the time period. Thus, if you drop your bike off and nothing is in front of it, I will probably have it done two days later. If there is 4 bikes in front, then maybe it will not be finished for 3 to 4 days. I am a quality over quantity guy. It should be said though, that if you need your bike done quickly for a race or triathlon, I will try and get your bike put ahead of the line. I can't always guarantee that though.

Again, any questions feel free to get in touch. My contact information is above.

No comments:

Post a Comment